Aller au contenu

MARIAH CAREY 🦋 Les actualités

R&B Junkie

Messages recommandés

Il y a 4 heures, DHayes a dit :

Ce Bashing contre Mariah Carey dans Quotidien, c’est quoi leur problème? suite spéciale Mariah demain encore... ?

Ça n'a pas loupé chez moi.

Ma famille l'a incendié en plus de comprendre "Cochonne"' à la place de "Caution". ??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Haha 6

Nouvelle interview par Pitchfork super intéressante : son enfance difficile, la célébrité et ses revers, son intégrité et liberté artistiques, sa voix, sa nouvelle appréciation pour Glitter, le nouvel album Caution, son approche du succès en 2018… Je me permet de ne poster que les passages qui ont le plus retenu mon attention, mais l’entretien vaut le coup dans son intégralité.

Citation

You stipulated from the very beginning that you would perform songs that you yourself wrote. How did you know that was a good idea?

I had seen documentaries about the Beatles selling their publishing, or having it stolen. I had always written songs and, when I was around 18, I was offered $5,000 for all my music and I was like, “No.” All these songs that ended up becoming No. 1 songs later, after I got my deal. I was singing background for Brenda K. Starr, and she was like, “You know what, Mariah? I want to do some of your songs. I’ll put them on my album.” I was like, “You know what? I love you and thank you for hiring me but I’m going to keep my songs.” I just believed in them.

You’ve always had great collaborations on your albums. How did you come to work with Dev Hynes on the new song “Giving Me Life”?

I was sitting with Jay-Z and [Roc Nation exec Tyran] “Ty Ty” [Smith], and I was telling Jay a vision that I had for the album, and said, “Is there anyone who you could think of?” He talked to me about Blood Orange, and then I met Dev and fell in love with him. I worked with him here at Electric Lady. He came in to the studio, and I was like, “I just want to work from the inception to the completion of this thing.” A lot of times producers or collaborators don’t get that I really mean it when I say that I want to be there from the beginning. Dev got that better than anybody. And so, even the drum pattern, we were working at it from scratch together. There’s a synth sound on “Giving Me Life” that’s like my favorite thing. It just resonated with me. And it was a feel in the studio. It wasn’t like anybody trying to show off or do anything but be immersed in the music.

Because of your stardom, is it hard to get people to be casual with you in the studio?

It’s always been a struggle, even when I first started making my first demos, and there was no record deal yet. I would be like, “Can you take the strings out here,” or “Can you make the drums break down here?” When you’re a teenage girl working with what seemed like older people—who were like 25 or 30—and it was their studio, they are the authority figures. I was producing but I didn’t realize that that was producing.

What makes something a Mariah song to you?

I don’t know how to define that. I’ve recently started being like, “Oh, I guess that’s very me to do that part right there.” It’ll be a la-la-la or a shoo-do-do or a da-da-da-da-da. I don’t do it to try and sound like a Mariah song, and I love to collaborate with people, but in the rare instances when I’ve done other people’s songs, I haven’t liked it. There was a Disney song I did five, six years ago called “Almost Home,” and I never really liked it. No offense to whoever wrote it, and I did it because Disney wanted me to do it, but it didn’t feel like me at all.

What does it feel like in the body, in the lungs, to hit the notes you are able to hit?

It’s a very physical thing. If I slept a good amount, had some days off, been in the humidity, and go out and really perform with strength and a full chest voice, that’s one feeling. There’s a lot of energy and a lot of power that that has. It’s all coming through this area [clutches her throat] but it’s all coming from the diaphragm and going up through here [traces a line up her chest].

Does it hurt to hit the whistle register?

When it’s at its best, it doesn’t hurt. There’s two different placements of that part of my voice. There’s the “Vision of Love” kind of whistle voice and then there’s “Emotions,” with those high parts at the end. I remember [producer] David Cole, who passed away. He was one of the only people I used to have in the studio when I would sing because I respected him as a singer. He would push me in different areas where he could actually sing it to me and I would be like, “Oh, this is cool. I like that.” If you listen to the song “Emotions,” that was him going, “You can do that. Try this.” Half the time, I would lose my voice afterwards because he would just push me.

You have some of the most loyal fans in pop, and they recently bumped the Glitter soundtrack to No. 1 on iTunes 17 years after its release. Are you surprised by Glitter’s cult status?

I like the soundtrack to Glitter but I avoided it for years.

Why?

Because it represented a time in my life when they almost killed me.

What almost killed you?

I was leaving Sony, I was fighting every day with my ex-husband [Tommy Mottola] who still ran the label, and then I was on a new label. We released Glitter on September 11, 2001, and it was a really bad time. We’ve had ups and downs.

What does failure teach you?

You know what? If failure means that the biggest selling single of 2001, which was “Loverboy,” from Glitter…

It was the biggest selling single from 2001?

Mm-hmm. I’m not mad at it. It represents a moment. It took me a long time to embrace it, but I’m fine with it.

What does success mean to you now, with an album like Caution?

The times [change]. I can’t expect that this is going to do 30 million, like Music Box. It’s so different now. It was always such a thing where it was like I felt like I had to prove something to myself and to the world. I had to prove that I was good enough to be alive.

• Like 16
il y a 1 minute, LeVautour a dit :

Elle est hyper terre à terre ! ça fait plaisir ! Et son nouveau jugement sur "Glitter" fait plaisir à voir : elle reconnaît ENFIN cet album !

Tout argent est bon à prendre, surtout qu'il a été 1 par les fans,  elle va plus cracher dessus maintenant.

image.jpeg.ee9a2b96e3ce08dacb78fc9e12a67b90.jpeg

• Haha 3
Il y a 4 heures, God is a Shemale a dit :

Tout argent est bon à prendre, surtout qu'il a été 1 par les fans,  elle va plus cracher dessus maintenant.

image.jpeg.ee9a2b96e3ce08dacb78fc9e12a67b90.jpeg

Elle a pas l'air d'apprécier cet album à 100%, ce sont des mauvais souvenirs. RIP à Almost Home qui passe pour une chanson forcée pour elle (dédicace à disney). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Il y a 3 heures, mijolle a dit :

elle doit prendre lĂ  ou elle trouve de l'argent vue les ventes et qui sait cela sera peut-ĂŞtre son dernier album studio avec cette maison disque et va t'elle encore en faire??

Évidemment ! Elle doit être au bord de la banqueroute. Heureusement qu’elle a vendu 5000 copies de Glitter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Très déçu par ce qu'elle dit sur Almost Home , si la chanson avait été numéro 1 a mon avis elle tiendrais un tout autre discours , en plus si tu n'aimes pas tu tournes pas non plus un clip avec un réalisateur renommé bref...très étrange !

Pourquoi l'avoir acceptée dans ce cas ?

J'adore tout dans cette chanson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
il y a 5 minutes, Matis a dit :

Très déçu par ce qu'elle dit sur Almost Home , si la chanson avait été numéro 1 a mon avis elle tiendrais un tout autre discours , en plus si tu n'aimes pas tu tournes pas non plus un clip avec un réalisateur renommé bref...très étrange !

Pourquoi l'avoir acceptée dans ce cas ?

J'adore tout dans cette chanson.

Someday a été numéro et elle déteste cette chanson. Try again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

“Someday” a été #1, ça ne l’empêche pas de cracher dessus dès qu’elle en a l’occasion. Idem pour “I Don’t Wanna Cry” et “Hero”, même si elle a retrouvé une certaine appréciation pour ces deux titres depuis Vegas pour le premier, et au fil des années pour le second grâce à la réponse du publique qui l’émeut à chaques concerts.

Mais il est clair que ce titre n’a rien de Mariah, que ce soit celle des années 90 ou plus tard dans sa carrière (c’est pour cette raison que je ne l’ai jamais aimé). Son implication est au contraire très minime dans ce projet : une chanson qu’elle n’a pratiquement pas écrite ni produite à part le pont (je crois), et un clip qu’elle a du tourner très rapidement. Elle a signé son contrat et l’a respecté, c’est pas plus compliqué que ça. ^^

• Like 5
  • Membres qui parcourent ce sujet   0 membres

• Aucun utilisateur enregistrĂ© regarde cette page.
  • CrĂ©er...