11. Prince and the Revolution “When Doves Cry”

12. The Cure “Just Like Heaven”

13. Michael Jackson “Billie Jean”

14. The Smiths “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”

15. Sonic Youth “Teen Age Riot”

16. Fugazi “Waiting Room”

17. Madonna “Into the Groove”

18. Marvin Gaye “Sexual Healing”

19. Eric B. & Rakim “Paid in Full” / ”Paid in Full (Seven Minutes of Madness Mix)”

20. Whitney Houston “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)”

21. Prince and the Revolution “Kiss”

22. Talking Heads “This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)”

23. Slick Rick “Children's Story”

24. Pixies “Where Is My Mind?”

25. New Order “Temptation”

26. Public Enemy “Bring the Noise”

27. Janet Jackson “Love Will Never Do (Without You)”

28. Kate Bush “Hounds of Love”

29. Diana Ross “I'm Coming Out”

30. Beastie Boys “Shake Your Rump”

31. Frankie Knuckles / Jamie Principle “Your Love”

32. N.W.A “Fuck tha Police”

33. Prince and the Revolution “I Would Die 4 U”

34. Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force “Planet Rock”

35. Sade “The Sweetest Taboo”

36. Michael Jackson “Human Nature”

37. Tom Tom Club “Genius of Love”

38. Salt-n-Pepa “Push It”

39. Cocteau Twins “Lorelei”

40. The Cure “Close to Me”

41. Guns N' Roses “Welcome to the Jungle”

42. Eurythmics “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”

43. New Order “Bizarre Love Triangle”

44. Laurie Anderson “O Superman (For Massenet)”

45. De La Soul “Me, Myself and I”

46. The Jesus and Mary Chain “Just Like Honey”

47. Joy Division “Atmosphere”

48. Janet Jackson “When I Think of You”

49. Neneh Cherry “Buffalo Stance”

50. Madonna “Like a Prayer”

51. Bruce Springsteen “I'm on Fire”

52. The Stone Roses “I Wanna Be Adored”

53. Kraftwerk “Computer Love”

54. Roxy Music “More Than This”

55. New Order “Ceremony”

56. Bob Marley & the Wailers “Could You Be Loved”

57. Eric B. & Rakim “Follow the Leader”

58. Daryl Hall & John Oates “I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)”

59. Depeche Mode “Never Let Me Down Again”

60. ESG “Moody”

61. Gang Starr “DJ Premier in Deep Concentration”

62. Art of Noise “Moments in Love”

63. Stevie Nicks “Edge of Seventeen”

64. David Bowie “Let's Dance”

65. Echo & the Bunnymen “The Killing Moon”

66. The Replacements “Alex Chilton”

67. Guns N' Roses “Sweet Child o' Mine”

68. Biz Markie “Just a Friend”

69. Prince “When You Were Mine”

70. Pet Shop Boys “West End Girls”

71. Bruce Springsteen “Atlantic City”

72. Bad Brains “Pay to Cum”

73. Pixies “Debaser”

74. Dinosaur Jr. “Freak Scene”

75. Black Flag “Rise Above”

76. Fingers Inc. “Can You Feel It?”

77. Metallica “Master of Puppets”

78. The Specials “Ghost Town”

79. Boogie Down Productions “South Bronx”

80. Zapp “Computer Love”

81. Diana Ross “Upside Down”

82. Tears for Fears “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”

83. My Bloody Valentine “You Made Me Realise”

84. Slayer “Angel of Death”

85. Luther Vandross “Never Too Much”

86. Tracy Chapman “Fast Car”

87. Tenor Saw “Ring the Alarm”

88. Evelyn "Champagne" King “Love Come Down”

89. Fela Kuti “Coffin for Head of State”

90. Blondie “Call Me”

91. Bill Withers / Grover Washington, Jr.“Just the Two of Us”

92. Fleetwood Mac “Gypsy”

93. U2 “With or Without You”

94. Change “The Glow of Love”

95. Grace Jones “Pull Up to the Bumper”

96. Cherrelle / Alexander O'Neal “Saturday Love”

97. Chaka Khan / Rufus “Ain't Nobody”

98. Violent Femmes “Blister in the Sun”

99. Sister Nancy “Bam Bam”

100. The Church “Under the Milky Way”

101. Eazy-E “Boyz-n-the-Hood”

102. Michael Jackson “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)”

103. Whitney Houston “How Will I Know”

104. AC/DC “Back in Black”

105. The Cure “Pictures of You”

106. Madonna “Borderline”

107. Alan Parsons Project “Eye in the Sky”

108. Frankie Knuckles “Baby Wants to Ride”

109. The Smiths “This Charming Man”

110. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds “The Mercy Seat”

111. The Clash “The Magnificent Seven” / ”The Magnificent Dance”

112. Nirvana “About a Girl”

113. The Isley Brothers “Between the Sheets”

114. Talk Talk “Life's What You Make It”

115. INXS “Never Tear Us Apart”

116. Sade “Is It a Crime”

117. Rhythim Is Rhythim “Strings of Life”

118. Minutemen “History Lesson – Part II”

119. Soul II Soul “Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)”

120. Rick James “Give It to Me Baby”

121. Slick Rick / Doug E. Fresh “La Di Da Di”

122. Grandmaster & Melle Mel “White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)”

123. Run-D.M.C. “It's Like That”

124. De La Soul “Eye Know”

125. The Replacements “Bastards of Young”

126. Janet Jackson “Control”

127. Cyndi Lauper “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”

128. R.E.M. “Radio Free Europe”

129. This Mortal Coil “Song to the Siren”

130. Phil Collins “In the Air Tonight”

131. Yellowman “Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt”

132. Godley & Creme “Cry”

133. Fleetwood Mac “Everywhere”

134. Queen & David Bowie “Under Pressure”

135. Pixies “Gigantic”

136. Motörhead “Ace of Spades”

137. Mission of Burma “That's When I Reach for My Revolver”

138. Rob Base / DJ E-Z Rock “It Takes Two”

139. Spacemen 3 “Walkin' With Jesus”

140. Bronski Beat “Smalltown Boy”

141. Beat Happening “Indian Summer”

142. Tears for Fears “Head Over Heels”

143. Anthony Red Rose “Tempo”

144. Big Daddy Kane “Ain't No Half-Steppin'”

145. Liquid Liquid “Optimo”

146. David Bowie “Modern Love”

147. Michael McDonald “I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)”

148. Al B. Sure! “Nite and Day”

149. Shannon “Let the Music Play”

150. Beastie Boys “Paul Revere”

151. Dead Kennedys “Holiday in Cambodia”

152. Galaxie 500 “Tugboat”

153. Joe Jackson “Steppin' Out”

154. Tangerine Dream “Love on a Real Train”

155. A Guy Called Gerald “Voodoo Ray”

156. Siouxsie and the Banshees “Cities in Dust”

157. Orange Juice “Rip It Up”

158. 808 State “Pacific State”

159. George Clinton “Atomic Dog”

160. Sheila E. “The Glamorous Life”

161. U2 “Sunday Bloody Sunday”

162. Orchestra Baobab “Mouhamadou Bamba”

163. Peter Gabriel “In Your Eyes”

164. Hüsker Dü “Pink Turns to Blue”

165. Inner City “Good Life”

166. George Benson “Give Me the Night”

167. Yoko Ono “Walking on Thin Ice”

168. LL Cool J “I Can't Live Without My Radio”

169. The Chills “Pink Frost”

170. Cybotron “Clear"

171. King Sunny Ade and His African Beats “Ja Funmi”

172. The Sugarcubes “Birthday”

173. Wipers “Youth of America”

174. Suicidal Tendencies “Institutionalized”

175. K-Rob / Rammellzee “Beat Bop”

176. Schoolly D “P.S.K. What Does It Mean?”

177. The Pretenders “Brass in Pocket”

178. Nina Simone “Fodder in Her Wings”

179. The Joubert Singers “Stand on the Word”

180. Patrice Rushen “Forget Me Nots”

181. Womack & Womack “Teardrops”

182. Strafe “Set It Off”

183. Loose Joints “Is It All Over My Face”

184. Wayne Smith “Under Me Sleng Teng”

185. Class Action “Weekend”

186. The Clash “Rock the Casbah”

187. Mtume “Juicy Fruit”

188. Carly Simon “Why”

189. EPMD “You Gots to Chill”

190. Gregory Isaacs “Night Nurse”

191. Alice Coltrane “Jagadishwar”

192. William Onyeabor “Good Name”

193. Kano “I'm Ready”

194. Too $hort “Freaky Tales”

195. Jungle Brothers “Straight Out the Jungle”

196. Dinosaur L “Go Bang! #5 (Francois K Mix)”

197. Donald Byrd / 125th Street, N.Y.C. “Love Has Come Around”

198. A Certain Ratio “Shack Up”

199. Tom Zé “Nave Maria”

200. Egyptian Lover “I Cry (Night After Night)”

prince.gif?w=641&h=427

01. Prince and the Revolution “Purple Rain”

"Purple Rain" was released into a climate where Prince was known as an R&B artist but had ideas that expanded on the gospel roots of soul and the flamboyance of synthesizers. And so he wrote a brazen homily for the future of music, using a wistful guitar riff, floor-to-ceiling drums, dulcet swells of string and organ, and an indomitable two-word hook meant to be sung by a chorus, a room, an arena full of people. But it’s the sweltering guitar solo—so good it still moves people to tears—that brought the song into the upper echelon of stadium ballads. Purple Rain, the album and the film, were the magic results of Prince’s limitless imagination and bridged an invisible aural divide, premised on race, that, up until that point, only Michael Jackson had truly managed to transcend. And "Purple Rain" the song is where it all came together in majestic fashion.

The funky and explicit Dirty Mind established Prince as a virtuoso, but for Purple Rain he intentionally fashioned himself as leader of a band called the Revolution (including Wendy & Lisa, who became mythic figures themselves) in order to break with expectations of black artists and find an entry point into white, rock audiences. It seems cynical, but that bifurcation remains to this day, albeit on a more subtle level. It’s what drives Kanye West to defy the limitations imposed on rappers, a narrative that is imbued in the fawning critical response to his sprawling fifth album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Prince no longer wanted to be put into a box, and "Purple Rain", mixing the sacred and secular, is the glorious sound of escape.

No one in modern pop music, except maybe Beyoncé, can touch Prince’s legacy as a perfectionist. The man, with his wardrobe and rude falsetto and kinetic performances, had perfected "flawless" decades before Bey made a song about it. And so it’s staggering to comprehend that the version of "Purple Rain" beloved by lovers and sensualists around the world was recorded live in the moment, on stage at a Minneapolis benefit concert in the summer of 1983. The 11-minute recording was snipped of a verse and buffed to a shine, but nonetheless, left largely intact as the still-burning finale on Purple Rain, the album and film that turned Prince into a global superstar. It’s a testament to Prince’s vision and the intense rigor it takes to orchestrate a moment, and it’s something our detail-obsessed world, despite every filter and pitch corrector at its disposal, might struggle with today. And that Prince is so prudent with his image, story, and product but capped his best-loved album with a first-take isn’t a coincidence, but an integral part of his genius. —Anupa Mistry

11. Prince and the Revolution “When Doves Cry”

Strip away every bit of character—the inscrutable tweets, the shifting attitudes towards the Internet, the label drama, the Paisley Park vault, the Love Symbol, the godly hoop skills and the fucking pancakes—and dig until you reach the foundation: this is what you’ll find. Before the release of "When Doves Cry", Prince was an enigmatic studio rat with an ear for controversy and an unstoppable pen. It made him into an icon, a prowling, unbridled star of sound and screen whose commercial potency and creative energy were almost unrivalled.

It’s the wellspring from which the Prince of popular imagination springs, and it’s worthy of that designation. This is a strange, singular song; it’s the best marriage of pop instinct and weird, experimental energy in Prince’s discography, which is saying something given he’s had over 30 years to write a worthy successor. It contains his multitudes, every major aspect of his musical being: the shredding guitar god, the Minneapolis funk wizard, the deliberately queer provocateur, the magnetic sexual force, the vocalist poised on the verge of ecstasy. It’s a visionary act from a musical auteur—Prince wrote and recorded all of the parts himself after the rest of Purple Rain was finished—but its biggest innovation sprang from a conversation, and it’s credited to a band. Without a bassline it hangs in the air, shimmering, like an invitation to a purple palace in the sky.

At this point in his career, Prince sometimes seems more like an ideal or a guardian spirit than an actual musician. (I think he knows this too, continuing to release fine records and singles that can’t help but riff on past glories.) His existence lets you believe that skepticism and intolerance can be defeated through genius and sheer will—if a tiny man wearing pantyhose and singing like an angel can become the biggest rock star in the world, you can overcome whatever happens to be cramping your style one lousy morning. "When Doves Cry" is the cap on his rise and the root of his myth, and it remains economic, innovative, and exciting. This is what it sounds like when a legend is born. —Jamieson Cox

21. Prince and the Revolution “Kiss”

After the commercial and artistic triumph of Purple Rain and the declaration of unpredictability that was Around the World in a Day, Prince cemented his reputation as a master innovator the moment "Kiss" pounced out of the radio in 1986. There was no other record that moved like it, and there still isn't. It's shockingly spare for a dance track: dry as ash, with all of its weightless bulk way up in the tweeter zone and no bassline at all. The song's structure and chords come off as unimaginably fresh and alien, which is pretty impressive considering that it's basically just a twelve-bar I-IV-V blues at its core. (The two covers of "Kiss" that were minor hits in the next few years—one by the Art of Noise with Tom Jones, the other by Age of Chance—made a point of how little they sounded like Prince's version, and how splendid a song it was anyway.)

Prince's original demo for the song was a quick acoustic throwaway he gave to his then-bassist Brownmark's band Mazarati for the debut album they were recording in 1985. The version they worked up with producer David Z was more or less "Kiss" as we know it, including the guitar-as-hi-hat riff that provides its beat—as well as a bassline that probably seemed like it obviously had to be there. On hearing that recording, Prince yanked it back from them, leaving credits to David Z for the arrangement and to Mazarati for their background vocals on the version he released. Prince, though, is the one who added "Kiss"'s crowning touches, including the high-speed strum at the end of the chorus (borrowed from Jimmy Nolen's guitar part on James Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag") and the nearly instrumental bridge (his seemingly ad-libbed line "little girl Wendy's parade" had been the working title of the Parade album's opening song "Christopher Tracy's Parade"). And his stratospheric, deeply sexy, intensely bizarre lead vocal—he sticks to the cloudbusting end of his falsetto for almost the entire song, diving down to baritone a couple of times just to show off a little more—might be his greatest performance. —Douglas Wolk

33. Prince and the Revolution “I Would Die 4 U”

Purple Rain was Prince’s sixth record and the most potent of that legendary run of Dirty Mind, Controversy, and 1999. It sold about 13 million copies in the U.S. alone, and right there, right after "Darling Nikki" and "When Doves Cry", is arguably the heaviest song in his catalog: "I Would Die 4 U", with its propulsive industrial heartbeat. "I Would Die 4 U" is a brooding wall of sound that rips through about three genres in under three minutes—one of the shortest, densest tracks of Prince’s career. Known for chasing his sometimes flighty inner muse, Prince envisions himself as a Christ-like figure, turning an ostensible feel-good love song into a messianic anthem, down to its repeated titular pleading, where he re-casts the song, his music, himself as other-worldly. In a long career full of dramatic reinventions, "I Would Die 4 U" stands out as the time Prince most urgently made his intentions known. —Matthew Ramirez

69. Prince “When You Were Mine”

Before there was Sign 'o' the Times, before there was Purple Rain, there was Dirty Mind. The album that Prince started the '80s off with, essentially a collection of bedroom demos, was simultaneously his most innocuous and his most brash. It featured surprisingly graphic sounds about incest, oral sex, and other sordid subjects, with the fidelity and scope of a bedroom demo one-man-band. "When You Were Mine", which softened his trademark funk into something closer to jangle pop, was one of the most shocking turns on the whole record. What starts as a typical I-want-you-back-lament turns a corner quickly: "You let all my friends come over and meet/ And you were so strange/ You didn't have the decency to change the sheets." That'll raise an eyebrow or two. And then there's the "I never was the kind to make a fuss/ When he was there/ Sleeping in between the two of us," all presented with the same doe-eyed expression. You'd never guess what he was saying unless you listened closely.

Surprisingly explicit, fluid with gender roles and expectations (note how the other man is sleeping in between them), and sparsely funky, "When You Were Mine" laid the blueprint for all the great Prince songs that would come throughout the '80s. You can hear the desperate confusion of "If I Was Your Girlfriend", the straightforward crudeness of "Let's Pretend We're Married", the playful brazenness of "Jack U Off"—it's all there in the chintzy keyboards and flimsy aluminum bass. Capturing Prince in raw and unfiltered mode, it was an early peek at a genius in the making, at his most naked and vulnerable. And it's that vulnerability—confusing, naive, and honest—that makes "When You Were Mine" such a memorable moment in a catalogue already overflowing with classics. —Andrew Ryce

• Like 1
  • 7 mois après...

J'ai appris son décès en faisant la queue pour le concert de Mariah Carey. Je redescends de mon nuage , ça me fait un peu bizarre de le savoir décédé. Je n'aurais pas l'occasion de voir ce génie en concert. :(

J'ai grandi en écoutant Mj , Biggie , 2pac , Janet , Carey , Tupac, Stevie, Houston... Il fait parti de ces légendes que j'admire, mais il est le seul que j'ai découvert plus tard.

Et quelle discographie, qu'il nous offre en héritage ! Je ne connais pas tout, je connais les grands albums (Dirty Mind, Controversy, Purple Rain, 1999, Sign O' The Times) et quelque titres populaires. Je compte me rattraper , sa musique est tellement riche et vaste. The Cross est l'une de mes chansons préférées.

Il était vraiment respecté et a influencé pratiquement tout le monde. R.I.P le nain.

• Like 1

Oh rodney j'adore the cross surtout en live dans le dvd sign o the times. J'aime pas tellement le premier album, je sais pas j'ai pas de coup de coeur, ça m'ennuie un peu.

Je préfère Prince mais là encore c'était pas la perfection sauf quelques titres comme Bambi, sexy dancer ou i wanna be your lover. Enfaite c'était son disque un peu nunuche trop naïf et romantique dans le mauvais sens.

Il y a un avant et un après dirty mind, à partir de ce disque il décolle vraiment.

mon titre préféré MOUNTAINS

Si je devais être cynique pour oublier mon chagrin musical, je dirais que si sa mort peut nous permettre d'avoir enfin sa discographie remasterisées et enrichies ... que tous ses albums sortent sur spotify et en cds à prix normal ... ça sera pas que du gachis !

mais bon après mj david bowie et maintenant lui ... aie

• Like 1

Bon, voici les 30 titres qui me semblent être incontournables: ce sont majoritairement des singles je crois mais bon, c'est toujours un bon moyen pour aborder en douceur une discography.

I Wanna Be Your Lover ("Prince"-1979)

Controversy ("Controversy"-1981)

1999 ("1999"-1982)

Let's Go Crazy ("Purple Rain"-1984)

When Doves ("Purple Rain"-1984)

I Would Die For You ("Purple Rain"-1984)

Purple Rain ("Purple Rain"-1984)

Paisley Park ("Around the World in A Day"-1985)

Raspberry Beret ("Around the World in A Day"-1985)

Pop Life ("Around the World in A Day"-1985)

Under The Cherry Moon ("Parade"-1986)

Girls & Boys ("Parade"-1986)

Kiss ("Parade"-1986)

Sometimes It Snows In April ("Parade"-1986)

Sign "O" the Times ("Sign "O" the Times"-1987)

U Got The Look ("Sign "O" the Times"-1987)

If I Was Your Girlfriend ("Sign "O" the Times"-1987)

Alphabet St. ("Lovesexy"-1988)

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got ("Graffiti Bridge"-1990)

The Question of U ("Graffiti Bridge"-1990)

Joy In Repetition ("Graffiti Bridge"-1990)

Cream ("Diamonds and Pearls"-1991)

Gett Off ("Diamonds and Pearls"-1991)

Money Don't Matter 2night ("Diamonds and Pearls"-1991)

Sexy MF ("Love Symbol"-1992)

Blue Light ("Love Symbol"-1992)

I Wanna Melt With U ("Love Symbol"-1992)

Papa ("Come"-1994)

Gold ("The Gold Experience"-1995)

Black Sweat ("3121"-2006)

La perte de Prince m'a fait un choc. Chaque moment de ma vie a pas eu un bout de Prince en bande-son. Je l'ai énormément écouté entre 1990 et 1995.

Son catalogue est quasi inépuisable et je n'ai jamais cessé de m’intéresser à ses travaux, pas toujours bons, mais avec toujours quelques petites perles à garder.

Comme je l'ai déjà dit, avant la terrible nouvelle, j'aime beaucoup "Hit n run, phase One": cet opus me fait penser, justement, à la période 90/95.

A ma liste ci-dessus, postée il y a presque 6 ans (!), j'ajoute:

"Beginning Endlessly" (20Ten-2010)

"FunknRoll" (Art Official Age-2014)

"Hardrocklover" (Hit n Run Phase One-2015)

"1000 X's & O's" (Hit n Run Phase One-2015)

Il manque là dedans plein de titres que j'adore comme le bordélique "My name is Prince", "7", "Batdance"...

• Like 5

Tu connais la phase 2 de Hitnrun c'est encore meilleur ?

J'aime de plus en plus la phase 1 et art official age, sa musique se bonifie au fur et à mesure. Et aujourd'hui j'ai des envies de "Cream" quelle chanson.

Diamonds and pearls est un monument si on jette deux titres.

Tu en as de la chance d'avoir vécu cette époque, je n'étais qu'un bébé. :P

• Like 1

Je l'ai acheté et je trouve son HITNRUN Phase 2 est vraiment pas mal.

Oui l'album est sympa, c'est limite regrettable qu'il soit appelé HITNRUN Phase 2 après l'immonde Phase 1 (oui oui je persiste, cet album est une grosse merde). Et ceux d'avant ne sont guère franchement mieux.... enfin si, mais faut dire que c'était difficile de faire pire.

Comme je l'ai écris ailleurs, je ne connais pas encore toute sa discographie, que je parcours petit à petit, mais j'ai eut un énorme coup de cœur pour la chanson Fury.

Ça risque d'être une de mes chansons favorites de Prince (même si Cream restera indétrônable de sa première place).

Après j'aime beaucoup les titres comme 1999, Funknroll, Rocknroll Loveaffair, Crazy You, Sexuality ou encore Delirious (qui me fait bien marrer, avec sa petite musique, et qui me rappelle le générique de Club BCBG ^^). Il y en a encore plein d'autres, bien sûr...

• Like 3

J'ai pour ma part commencé sa discographie il y a quelques mois, puis je me suis arrêté, ayant eu un peu de mal à digérer ce que je venais de découvrir.

Je compte donc m'y remettre très prochainement. C'est un génie, c'est indéniable ! Mes petites oreilles ne sont tout simplement pas encore tout à fait prête à tout aimer, j'imagine. J'ai tendance à préférer son côté jazzy au reste. Je suis moins sensible à son rock.

Je viens de me mettre à Rainbow Children, le premier que j'arrive à réellement aimer de A à Z. Une véritable pépite. :throb:

• Like 2
  • Membres qui parcourent ce sujet   0 membres

• Aucun utilisateur enregistré regarde cette page.
  • Créer...