Aller au contenu

Camille - Ilo Veyou

Messages recommandés

The Guardian encence Camille :

It is a good time for female French singers, whether Piaf as incarnated by the Oscar-winning Marion Cotillard, or Carla Bruni, the Italian-born and French-bred inamorata of President Sarkozy. But then the Parisian pop poppet has always intoxicated: Juliette Greco was wooed by Miles Davis; Jarvis Cocker has taken an almost peculiarly close interest in the oeuvres of Francoise Hardy and Sylvie Vartan; Vanessa Paradis was romanced by Lenny Kravitz before she married Johnny Depp. None of which is a) a source of particular mystification, or b) of huge relevance to Camille Dalmais, although there are continuities in much of those other artists' work - involving a pay-off between the chanson tradition and an Anglo-American pop sensibility - that find a semblance of resolution in this both characteristically baffling and brilliant third studio album.

Camille is the winner of the French equivalent of the Mercury Music Prize for her last album, Le Fil, which also found devoted champions in this country, not least in these pages: Charlie Gilllett, reviewing here in April 2005, called it 'extra special', and it made number nine in OMM's list of the 100 best CDs of that year. Pretty good going for such an adventurous record - witness the continuous line (or thread: 'le fil') of a single note that held the whole thing together - and one also largely sung in French; that its successor is largely sung in English shouldn't be read as a suggestion that the 30-year-old Parisian is seeking crossover success of any kind. But then again, with the punningly-titled Music Hole, it's often hard to tell what's meant to be what.

In the first instance, listen to 'Money Note': as ever with Camille, the track is constructed from loops of her vocal tics and scatting, with a spare piano backing, before she sings over the top: 'If Dolly Parton wrote it/ And Whitney Houston stole it/If Celine Dion could reach it/I'll hit the money note!' Is she taking the piss out those divas? Out of herself? Does it matter when the song drives to such an irresistible climax, akin to a pounding house track, with Camille hitting said note in wailing 'I just want to beat Mariah!'?

That very special modus operandi - the way in which Camille and her regular co-producer Majiker manipulate the human voice - inevitably draws one comparison, with Björk, and specifically her Medulla, also built from rhythmic vocals. But Camille, for my money, is the wittier artist, her timbre is more attractive and her sense of melody stronger: the likes of Left Bank charmer 'Cats and Dogs' ('are not our friends/they just pretend') and dreamy closer 'Sanges Sweet' could be happily lent to a Disney movie. (That Camille voices a character in the French version of Ratatouille is incidental.)

For some, the sense of whimsy might be too strong, and others might never be able to banish the spectre of Bobby McFerrin (whose 'Don't Worry, Be Happy', that human beatbox classic, she has covered live); but at every turn on this record, there are surprises - try, for another instance, the ecstatic arrival of the chorus on 'Canards Sauvages', which otherwise features what sounds like Camille splashing in the bath - that demonstrate a fierce intelligence and rare musical imagination at play.

She's not out of the same box as those other French popsters; she's very much out there on her own.

Je posterai ma petite review un peu plus tard, le temps de jouir en paix.

^^

• Like 1

jvais acheter son album aprés avoir vu sa viédo à tarata...j'ai adoré l'ambiance qui se dégage de son 1er titre...elle me fait penser à bjork ds l'ambiance...

Ayé, j'ai joui, vous pouvez venir maintenant.

^^

lol

t a écouté l album ?

je commence pas mal a apprécier Gospel With No Lord ... ce qui est assez rare chez moi d apprécier une chanson de Camille. je sais pas si je me ferais pour autant a tout un album comme ça.

si quelqu un peut me dire un peu l ambiance de l album & co (ne me dites pas juste "c est un album gospel' merci !)

lol

t a écouté l album ?

je commence pas mal a apprécier Gospel With No Lord ... ce qui est assez rare chez moi d apprécier une chanson de Camille. je sais pas si je me ferais pour autant a tout un album comme ça.

si quelqu un peut me dire un peu l ambiance de l album & co (ne me dites pas juste "c est un album gospel' merci !)

Va faire un tour dans ma signature (mais ne viens pas m'engueuler après, ça va bien !).

^^

Ok thanks ! ca m a l air donc bien sympatique !

(la pochette est sublime)

(par contre, j ai pas compris ta critique envers Björk)

(sympa ton site)

Mais de rien !

^^

(moui, j'ai préféré les pochettes des singles, mais ça passe)

(je hais Medulla du plus profond de mon âme)

(merci !)

L'album a leaké ? OO, j'ai du mal comprendre ^^! Si quelqu'un a un lien... ^^

Julien l'avait posté sur son site mais l'a aussitôt retiré car le nombre de telechargements fut trop nombreux. :unsure:

Il devrait bientôt le remettre sur son site. ;)

Donc oui les chanceux l'ont écouté! :nan:

Julien l'avait posté sur son site mais l'a aussitôt retiré car le nombre de telechargements fut trop nombreux. :unsure:

Il devrait bientôt le remettre sur son site. ;)

Donc oui les chanceux l'ont écouté! :nan:

Chance, je n'ai trouvé qu'un album avec les sons en boucles... Donc il doit y avoir 1min de chanson et tout en repeat :crybaby: , je l'attends :crazylove:

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.
  • Membres qui parcourent ce sujet   0 membres

• Aucun utilisateur enregistré regarde cette page.
  • Créer...