Aller au contenu

Raleigh Ritchie | Debut Album (20 août 2015)

Solal

Messages recommandés

Ils sont bien ? C'est pas du dancefloor ou de la techno merdique style Steve Aoki/Afrojack ? Si ce n'est pas le cas je télécharge direct, son EP est parfait.

Non c'est des remix urbains, The internet font partie de Odd Future (Frank Ocean, Tyler The Creator), mais j'ai pas aimé les remix perso, ils n'apportent rien de nouveau mais restent potables.

• Like 1
  • 1 mois après...
  • 2 semaines après...

Ce topic n'est pas assez updated -_-

tumblr_n3iq9xUsKs1qc943fo1_1280.jpg

FIASCO | MUSIC - RALEIGH RITCHIE

Raleigh Ritchie, who chose his monniker from The Royal Tenebaums by combining two character names, isn’t too keen on being known as an “actor turned musician”. Previously seen in Kidulthood and Game Of Thrones, Raleigh (real name Jacob Anderson) has been penning songs since in his early teens, finally settling on a sound that might be lend itself to being called neo-soul or electronic R’N’B. Whatever the case, Ritchie’s two EP’s – ‘The Middle Child’ and ‘Black and Blue’ – are evocative, thoughtful pieces that he uses as letters, confessionals and a method of soul searching.

He’s got a new EP due out mid-April and a full length album (on Columbia) somewhere on the other side of summer. He’s a very busy boy indeed and we manage to catch him in between sessions, snapping him in a freezing East London studio where he smokes a lot, polishes off numerous cups of tea and talks about his standout ‘Black and Blue’ EP, in particular the hypnotic ‘Bloodsport’, which brought him to a whole new audience.

You prefer ‘Black and Blue’ as a body of work, why is this?
I think ‘Black and Blue’ speaks more to where I’m going, like, in terms of music I want to make it’s closer than ‘The Middle Child’. ‘The Middle Child’ was very much of the summer, how I felt at that time, and ‘More’ and ‘In Too Deep’ have that summer 2013, ever so slightly dancey feel. But B&B is more focused, a start to where the album is going to go. Which I’m finishing, which is fucking weird to say. To say to myself I’m going to have an album out this year after god knows how many years… it’s like a really weird thing. I panicked a lot over the last year but now I feel alright, I feel confident that I’m going to be happy with it.

When do you see it being released?

I’d say the end of the summer, I’m hoping its going to be a good winter album. But like September time.

Is it as honest, as darkly heart-on-sleeve as ‘Black and Blue’?
That’s the only way I can write. It’s all just based on how I feel about things. But I very rarely write a whole song out of the studio, I like to put a song together and record it all in the same day. I like to bottle up cos it means that there’s a fair amount of imperfection in it but you can keep the emotion, you keep the emotion you had when writing it.

How does that work with your music? Rough and ready strikes me as a certain kind of sound but your work is actually quite polished in the production. Is your version of rough and ready starkly different to what I expect?
I am a really harsh critique of myself, like most people are. But I try and encourage thing to be as they happen. There’s not a lot of polishing and editing. Someone might hear something they think is good in a song and that might be the thing I hate the most, it might be like, I wish I sang that better, or wish I’d used a different word. Genuinely though, it’s about what tells the story, how do I communicate this, that’s more important than a perfect vocal take.

Storyteller or songwriter? Which applies more to you?
I love listening to music. Melody and the sonics is important and I can be really bossy when working with people, and be a bit of a control freak, but yeah, the lyrics and storytelling are why I got into it. Like I’ve tried writing songs for other people, I’ve done it and enjoyed it, but it’s not the same feeling as writing for myself.

Morrissey is your big influence for this reason, the story aspect?
He was a big part of that and that he sang in his own accent. I find it really odd when I hear a British singer singing in an American accent. I did it when I first started cos I thought that was you were meant to do. But I don’t understand how you can say something so personal about yourself and put it in someone else’s voice. And Donny Hathaway (the American jazz/soul/blues singer) was big for me, because you can hear how he feels, he so fucking tautly filled with emotion! He means it, 100%, you understand what he’s going through.

It’s interesting that you write under a monniker but on songs like ‘Bloodsport’ you literally spill your guts. It’s so personal.
It started as I wasn’t brave enough to do it under my own name. It sounds wank and so many artists say it but it feels like publishing your diaries, and so I wanted to protect myself a little but. But as I’ve gone along and now I’ve released some music I’ve realised it’s not yours any more. It belongs to the person listening to it. Until you do it live, then it comes back again. People naturally, when they listen to music, the context changes. I didn’t really understand that initially. Now I just like the name, and it’s completely me, there’s no alter ego.

There’s the undercurrents of escape in many of your songs, of talking about not wanting to relive that situation yet reliving it through making the song.
(laughs) I’ve never thought of it that way! For me, it’s like trying to… this is a really selfish thing I’m doing, it’s narcissistic. I’m using it to help myself understand myself. I feel like there was a little section of my life – 17 to 21 – where I just blacked out. And that was because of a combination of things, so it’s only recently that I’ve looked back at that and gone, ‘oh shit’. I’m 23 now, and it’s made me look at myself a lot more, some of it’s a bit uncomfortable. You know, in terms of career things were going really well, but that’s not enough.

It was a combination of music and meeting someone and falling in love that brought me out of the drinking too much, drugs, spending a lot of time on my own. I felt quite deep isolation for quite a long time. Any city can be the loneliest place. That was a really destructive time that I need to make sense of in order to move forward and I’m still going through that process now. From that point of view, writing a song is really helpful cos I’m not great at communicating to people how I feel, so my way of doing it is writing a song. In those I say all the things I say I can’t say to my family or friends.

It’s a cliché but I guess you could say that music saved your life?
I would say so. And I tried other ways and it just didn’t work for me.

You were acting and being successful in that for some time. As you moved over to music where you afraid of the tags that came with that?
It’s not like I became an artist on a whim because I was bored of acting, I’ll do some acting again, there’s other shit I want to do but I haven’t stopped writing songs since I was 14. There came a point that I worked out what I wanted to sound like and it’s only been in the last two years that it’s focused in on what it is now. I know where this album is going but I don’t know what the genre is completely, I know there’s elements of different things, and one of the elements that stands out is my voice as that kind of soul/R’n’B thing but that’s not everything I’m about.

Could you see yourself switching things up and keeping people on their toes?No one can look this far ahead but I’m going be optimistic for once and say my second album could be like a fucking folk album for all I know. I love so many different things and I want to play with them and see what my take is on them. I’d hate to put myself into one thing and say this is what I’m going to be for the rest of my life.

Interview by Taylor Glasby
Photographer: Alex de Mora
Stylist: Francesca Prudente

---

Photos pour ESQUIRE UK

tumblr_n6zge8p7TP1tthjcco4_500.png

tumblr_n6zge8p7TP1tthjcco2_500.png

tumblr_n6zge8p7TP1tthjcco1_500.png

tumblr_n6zge8p7TP1tthjcco3_500.png

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHtgQteebc

• Like 3

Il est en ce moment classé dans le Top Singles au UK avec Stronger Than Ever aidé par la pub que voici (et ou il apparait a la fin):

artworks-000074579606-8cqbke-t200x200.jp

UK: ?-?-136-58-30-EC

> 11.500 exemplaires vendus.

Je m'attendais plus a ce qu'il explose avec Bloodsport vu que c'est son titre le plus écouté sur soundcloud et youtube mais c'est vraiment cool pour lui.

• Like 1

Stronger Than Ever vient d'etre A-listé sur Radio1, et est la chanson la plus "shazamé" de la semaine au UK, tube next week.

Bq_NNgICIAIeRdi.jpg

Il est a Glastonbury où il se produira a 3:30 pm (uk time), sur une petite scene donc il ne sera pas filmé par la BBC.

BrS8DskIcAEjeVd.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 semaines après...
Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.
  • Membres qui parcourent ce sujet   0 membres

• Aucun utilisateur enregistré regarde cette page.
  • Créer...