Aller au contenu

Jack Savoretti - Miss Italia (17/05/24) / Come Posso Raccontare (02/04/24) p.10

Messages recommandés

@Rell Je les trouve tous bons ? Ses deux premiers (Between The Minds et Harder Than Easy) sont très folk. J'ai peut-être une préférence pour Before The Storm... En 1ère page dans le sujet de présentation j'ai mis pas mal de vidéos officielles des premiers albums, tu peux peut-être picorer pour voir celui qui te tente le plus. Aussi non, commence par le dernier en date Singing To Strangers. 

Ils se sont visiblement bien amusés pendant le tournage du clip.

J'veux y aller!!!!!!!!!! ? Et j'veux Jack comme guide touristique!!!!!!!!! ? 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 semaines après...

Une première critique de l'album (plus que 2x dormir)

Citation

You may not be leaving your own postcode this summer, but Jack Savoretti's Europiana will make you feel as if you've got away from it all

Jack Savoretti                                        Europiana                                     Out Friday

Rating: ****

How do you like your albums: consistent all the way through, like a stew, or full of variety, like a sharing platter?

There are a few famous LPs that don’t care about coherence. Look at Sgt Pepper: one minute you’re in the music hall with Mr Kite, the next you’re listening to a lecture on Hindu philosophy. 

It’s still a great record – as is Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black, which leans the other way, with every track cut from the same cloth.

Jack Savoretti has come up with a novel solution to this eternal dilemma. After reaching No 1 with his sixth album, Singing To Strangers, he is using his hard-won artistic freedom to give the follow-up not one distinct personality but two.

Several songs on Europiana carry on where its predecessor left off, with a sound so lush and romantic that you wonder if the backing tracks were recorded in Venice in 1957. 

Others appear to have come straight from a New York disco 20 years later. And Savoretti mixes them all up.

Now 37, he is not short of confidence. On the last album he shared a writing credit with Bob Dylan; this time he ropes in Nile Rodgers, the doyen of the disco. Who’s Hurting Who gleams with the glossy confidence that Rodgers brought to Madonna’s Like A Virgin and Bowie’s Let’s Dance.

In both his modes, Savoretti favours instant choruses and big emotions. His voice, while forever rasping, is not as throaty as it used to be. His touring band sound as if they’re having a ball. 

And his lyrics, especially on the sweeping ballad War Of Words, are heartfelt, with the odd shaft of wisdom.

The whole album exudes a longing for Europe, which comes straight from the genes – Savoretti, a Londoner now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and children, has an Italian father and a German-Polish mother.

It also chimes with the times. You may not be leaving your own postcode this summer, but Europiana will make you feel as if you’ve got away from it all. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-9696553/Jack-Savoretti-album-review-make-feel-youve-got-away-all.html

Pas mal d'interviews avant même la sortie sur cette ère, il a clairement passé la 4ème... D'ailleurs je pense qu'il a changé de maison de disque.

Citation

Jack-Savoretti-1-1068x623.jpg

Jack Savoretti sets his sights on creating new genre

As a teenager, Jack Savoretti gave up on his ambitions to be a footballer because he didn’t like the competitive nature of the sport. That attitude extends to the chart performance of the singer-songwriter’s albums. He might not be concerned by what placing they achieve but his record company will be pleased with the trajectory of that part of his career. In Britain, his last four albums have gone respectively, No.109; No.7; No.6 and then No.1 for 2019’s Singing To Strangers.

Don’t confuse this with a lack of ambition. On his new album, Europiana, the 37-year-old wants to do nothing less than start a new musical genre.

‘It is a concept album. I’m not ashamed of saying that,’ he tells me on a Zoom call from his home in Oxfordshire.

‘There are so many ways of describing American music and Latino music but there isn’t really anything that describes European music. When people ask me what kind of music I do, I’ve never had an answer. I’m not folk, pop or rock.

Jack-Savoretti-2.jpg

Europiana is the word I came up with to describe what I do. It’s perpetuating the music that has come out of Europe in the last 50 years. In the 1970s and 1980s a lot of funk, disco and soul found its way across the Atlantic and landed on European shores. It met with the culture of European songwriting which is melodic, melancholic in its storytelling. You can hear it in the music of everyone from Julio Iglesias to Giorgio Moroder, from Abba to the Gypsy Kings. When those two worlds collided that created what I call Europiana.’

Jack was born in London to an Italian father and Polish-German mother. His father’s business took him and the family around Europe and Jack was educated at the exclusive American School in Switzerland. He began playing guitar and writing songs as a means of handling the feelings of displacement. He is married to actress Jemma Powell, who recently appeared in the remake of the film The Secret Garden; the Sky series Devils and acclaimed miniseries The Stranger that was shown on Netflix. Jack persuaded Jemma, and their daughter Connie and son Winter to appear on the album.

Jack-Savoretti-3.jpg

‘My daughter’s is the first voice you hear on the album. Well, it’s my wife and my daughter but my daughter’s voice is much louder,’ he laughs.

‘At the end of the album it is my son and my daughter and all the kids of my band members. I wanted to get them all involved to see what their dads do. It was super fun for them. All the rest of them did it here, but I’ve kind of raised the bar with my daughter; she got to do her part in Abbey Road. She actually sang her parts into a microphone used by Frank Sinatra. I had to give her a real pep talk afterwards to ensure she knew this was not normal and that she would have to work very hard to get to do this again.’

For the Europiana project, he also managed to persuade Nile Rodgers, the legendary producer and founding member of Chic to appear on the album.

‘I explained the concept to Nile and he totally got it, man!’ he says.

Jack-Savoretti-4.jpg

‘I wanted Nile to be involved because he has had such an influence on Europiana. Nile took his music which was popular in New York clubs and made it universal. Europiana wouldn’t exist without Nile Rodgers. Now we’re getting radio play, it still blows my mind that Nile Rodgers is playing on my song Who’s Hurting Who? To the point where I’m jumping around the house. I try to explain to my kids: ‘This is your dad with Nile Rodgers but they’re not going to get what a big deal it is.’

Jack-Savoretti-5.jpg

I tell him it’s a pity that he eschews competition because the first and last track on Europiana, I Remember Us and War Of Words would be perfect to arrest the UK’s decline in the Eurovision Song Contest or to represent Italy, which stormed to the winning enclosure this year.

‘The idea of entering any kind of competition scares the hell out of me,’ he says. ‘I wanted to be a footballer growing up but the competitive element used to paralyse me with fear. In Italy they would call what I was a “Thursday player”, Great in training but then on a Saturday I would ‘bottle’ it. The potential of failing used to terrify me. When I discovered music, it was collaborative. I know some musicians want to be No.1 but for me it’s never been about that. You almost get snake charmed into worrying about these things. Music shouldn’t ever be competitive.’

https://extra.ie/2021/06/21/entertainment/music/jack-savoretti-new-genre

• Like 2

L'album est génial, efficace et surtout divinement produit !

Je trouve même que sa voix assez rauque se marie à merveille avec les sonorités pop/synthé de l'opus.

La piste d'ouverture ❤️❤️

Remarque un peu random, mais ça fait un bien fou d'écouter des chansons qui dépassent pour la plupart les 4 minutes^^.

• Like 1

Ce sera un de mes albums de l'été c'est sûr. ? Je ne jette rien du tout.

La prod est parfaite. C'est complètement actuel mais bourré de références.

Il a vraiment fait le job. On entend le Jack qu'on connait (et il ne force pas trop sur le côté rauque cette fois), pour moi c'est dans la continuité.

Effectivement, la 1ère piste est ❤️, la dernière aussi.  J'adore Dancing In The Living Room et Each & Every Moment me rappelle les sons de Mike & The Mechanics par ex... Et on en parle de l'efficacité de Secret life?

C'est lumineux, comme il l'avait vendu.

Il ne va pas perdre sa 2ème place de mon Last FM cette année je pense. ?  Surtout si il nous fait la même que pour les 3 derniers, avec une réédition dans quelques mois ?.

• Like 2

Belle surprise ! Je ne connaissais pas du tout Jack Savoretti et  j'adore l'album ! Il met de bonne humeur et j'aime beaucoup la voix de Jack, elle est un peu old school et elle se marie très bien avec les productions à la fois modernes et nostalgiques.

A la première écoute, grosses préférences pour Secret Life, Who's Hurting Who, Dancing In The Living Room et Each And Every Moment (elle me fait penser à une chanson des 80's, c'est délicieusement rétro et puis ce saxo :throb:).

Je tiens peut être un des albums de mon été. La pochette du disque est aussi très réussie. La mer, les montagnes en arrière plan, le t-shirt jaune, l'ambiance qui s'en dégage me plait et me fait penser aux vacances ?

• Like 1

Découverte de l’album ce soir….

grâce à AppleMusic, car l’album entier bénéficie du « nouveau son » Dolby Atmos (traitement du son assez exceptionnel !).

C’est marrant cette impression d’osciller entre album actuel réussi, hommage aux 80 et… album médiocre et ringard des années 80.

Franchement, j’ai un peu l’impression d’entendre Herbert Léonard ou Michael Bolton parfois haha.

Je retiens vite fait « Too much history » mais je n’ai pas du tout accroché (malgré la très jolie pochette). Déçu. ?

• SlenderFrame changed the title to Jack Savoretti - Miss Italia (17/05/24) / Come Posso Raccontare (02/04/24) p.10
  • Membres qui parcourent ce sujet   0 membres

• Aucun utilisateur enregistré regarde cette page.
  • Créer...